Frosinone v Inter: Nerazzurri aim to bounce back

Coach Roberto Mancini and defender Juan are both determined to see the San Siro club respond against the Serie A minnows after last week’s loss at home to Torino

Inter coach Roberto Mancini is keen to see his side avoid repeating the indiscipline which cost them last weekend when they travel to the Stadio Comunale Matusa on Saturday to take on Frosinone.

The relegation-threatened hosts are only one point away from safety with seven games remaining, and anything they can take from Mancini’s out-of-sorts side will be considered a huge bonus in their hunt for survival.

Inter continue to suffer from indifferent form as they face the prospect of failing to qualify for the Champions League again, despite having led the Serie A table until just before the winter break.

Mancini’s side now lie 18 points behind leaders Juventus and are eight points off third-placed Roma, who occupy the third and final Champions League qualifying position.

Their cause has not been helped by rashness, with Mancini left frustrated by Joao Miranda and Yuto Nagatomo both being sent off, the former for committing two bookable offences and the latter receiving a straight red card, in a 2-1 loss at home to Torino in their last outing.

“The season isn’t over but we have to learn from our mistakes,” he said.
“We need time to build maturity.

“At the start of the season we were very focused and picked up some great results. Then we went through a tough patch where we got less than we deserved.”

Despite his players contributing to their own downfall, Mancini still placed plenty of blame for the defeat at the referee’s feet, suggesting Miranda’s first yellow card was incorrectly given and accusing Torino of diving to earn the decisive penalty.

But defender Juan is keen for Inter to move on.

“We’re all a bit disappointed after losing the game on Sunday but we have to end the season on a high,” the Brazilian defender told Mediaset Premium.

“We mustn’t drop any more points. We’re certainly motivated. We’re a big club and we must set out to win every game.

“Our aim is quite simply to take each game as it comes and see where we end up. We need to be more aggressive and more focused.

“We’ve got a tough match coming up against Frosinone on Saturday. We’ll have to be at our best to come away with three points.”

Frosinone, who were thumped 4-0 at Genoa last time out, are without centre-forward Federico Dionisi, who is suspended due to suspension.

Both Nagatomo and Miranda will be banned for Inter, who have no other fresh absentees to worry about.

Key Opta stats:

– Inter Milan’s 4-0 win in the reverse fixture was Frosinone’s largest Serie A defeat in terms of goal difference, along with their 5-1 loss against Napoli and 4-0 defeat to Genoa.
– Frosinone have kept a clean sheet in five of their last six home league games, while they have not conceded at all in their last 270 minutes of action.
– Inter’s last win away from home in Serie A came on January 6. The Nerazzurri have picked up just three points from their last six games on the road.
– Frosinone have conceded 37 goals in the second half of their games, more than any other Serie A side this season. Meanwhile, Inter have shipped 10 of their last 11 goals after half-time.
– Inter Milan have used only four Italian players in this campaign, which is fewer than any other side.
– The reverse fixture between Frosinone and Inter produced Jeison Murillo’s first Serie A goal for the latter.

'I've had no offers from abroad' – Mancini denies reports of Premier League return

The former Manchester City man has dismissed speculation linking with him a move back to England and also refused to discuss a possible summer move from Yaya Toure

Inter head coach Roberto Mancini claims rumours linking him with a move away from the club are not true.

Reports in England and Italy this week have suggested the 51-year-old is ready to walk away from San Siro before the final year of his contract in order to take up a role elsewhere.

Mancini was rumoured to be keen on the Arsenal job should Arsene Wenger leave the Emirates Stadium, but he insists he has no concerns over his immediate future and has not received any enquiries.

“I’ve had no offers from abroad and everything that’s been written and said is untrue,” Mancini said on Friday.

“Coaches are related to their results, it’s borne out of the working situation. But I have one more year on my contract and so I’m not worried.”

When asked about the prospect of a bid for Yaya Toure, whose agent has claimed will leave Manchester City at the end of the season, Mancini refused to discuss transfer rumours.

READ MORE  | Nagatomo signs new Inter deal

“I think it’s premature to talk about players coming in. Let’s focus on the games, we’ll see in the summer,” he said.

“I’m not worried about the transfer window, even if they have to sell big players. In football you can do well even without spending huge amounts.”

Inter head to Frosinone on Saturday looking for a win that could close the eight-point gap to Roma and keep their slim hopes of Champions League qualification alive.

“There are 21 points available so we can’t afford to let our motivation drop,” Mancini said. “As long as points can be played for, you can’t give up on the Champions League, even though it’s extremely difficult.

“We made a few too many mistakes away from home. We lost the continuity we had at home, but it’s time to change that. If there’s even a small hope, we must think we can take it.

“Sometimes you think that a reconstruction project can be done more quickly than you expected. We’re on the right path, even though we’re still some way off.

“We spent half the championship in first place, so it can’t have been all bad. We need greater strength, but that just takes time, patience and hard work.”

Nagatomo signs three-year Inter extension

The 29-year-old, who has previously claimed to have turned down a move to Man Utd, has now extended his current deal at San Siro and says he never considered leaving

Inter full-back Yuto Nagatomo has signed a new three-year contract extension with Roberto Mancini ‘s side.

The Japan international, who has made over 170 appearances for the San Siro side, has agreed to fresh terms which will expire on June 30, 2019.

Nagatomo has made 21 appearances in all competitions for the Nerazzurri this season.

. @YutoNagatomo5 signs contract extension until 2019! Congrats Yuto! https://t.co/8VMucHmEda #FORZAINTER #FCIM pic.twitter.com/2XnWLSQHMk
— F.C. Internazionale (@Inter_en) April 8, 2016

The 29-year-old, who joined Inter from FC Tokyo in 2011,  claimed to have turned down the chance to move to Manchester United in January , and says he never considered a move.

“I never thought of leaving. As I said before, I love Inter and I want to give my all for our goal,” he told the club’s website. “I’ve been here for five years and I’m happy, everyone treats me well.

“I feel at home. I want to thank the president, the club, [vice-president] Javier Zanetti, Roberto Mancini, the staff and the fans.”

READ MORE   | Perisic excited by Chelsea links

Head coach Mancini added on Friday: “I want to congratulate Yuto. He deserves this.”

Inter are fifth in Serie A with seven games to play, eight points adrift of Roma in the third and final Champions League qualification spot.

Murillo not seeking Inter exit

The Colombia international has stressed that he is happy with life at the Serie A side and is not thinking about a transfer

Jeison Murillo has dismissed suggestions he could leave Inter at the end of the season amid speculation linking him with Manchester United and Bayern Munich.

The Colombia international joined Inter from Granada in July 2015 and has since developed into a key player at San Siro.

Murillo has scored twice in 28 Serie A appearances this campaign and his good performances have not gone unnoticed elsewhere.

Nevertheless, the 23-year-old defender is not thinking about leaving Inter any time soon.

“I was delighted when I heard Inter were interested in me,” the centre-back told Inter Channel.

“I could have joined sooner but the situation wasn’t easy at Granada and they wanted to keep me until the end of the season. 
READ MORE  | ‘Inter have faith in Mancini’

“I’m pleased the fans are asking me to stay.

“I have a five-year contract and my focus must be solely on Inter and what the team have to do in order to give 100 per cent.”

Inter, having led Serie A before the mid-season break, are now fifth, eight points outside the Champions League qualification places ahead of their match away to Frosinone on Saturday.

Kondogbia: Inter still fighting for Champions League place

The French midfielder is hopeful that Roberto Mancini’s men can defy the odds and overtake Roma to claim a spot in the top four

Inter have not yet given up hope of Champions League football next season, according to midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia.

With seven games of the Serie A season remaining, Inter are eight points behind third-placed Roma – who occupy the final Champions League qualification spot – in fifth and have a vastly inferior goal difference.

But Kondogbia says Inter will continue to fight for a top-three finish until it is no longer mathematically possible.

“Mathematically it’s not over yet and we must continue to believe in our chance of finishing third,” the France international told Corriere dello Sport.

“It’s a shame we have left points on the road that we shouldn’t have lost. We paid dearly for our errors.”
READ MORE  | ‘Inter have faith in Mancini’

However, while this campaign looks set to end in disappointment, Kondogbia believes Inter can challenge for the title next season.

“When I look at our squad I can see that nothing is missing to win the title,” he said.

“We have strength, quality and a great group of youngsters. Maybe we need a little bit more experience and shrewdness.”

On a personal note, the 23-year-old has dismissed suggestions he has struggled under the pressure of a huge price tag following his €38 million move from Monaco last June.

“This is a situation I know and that I’ve already experienced; when I was 21 I went to Monaco for €20m and so in July I knew what I was going to face,” he added.

“Psychologically it has never affected me.”

Kondogbia and his Inter teammates head to relegation-threatened Frosinone on Saturday as they look to close the gap on Roma.