Former Minister for Sport Luca Lotti said the Serie A clubs discussing the fixture changes after the Coronavirus outbreak were “like arguing families in a condo meeting.”
The Government finally decreed yesterday that all games would be played behind closed doors until April 3, so Serie A resumes from Sunday with the matches that were postponed last week.
“It was like arguing families in a condo meeting and they just couldn’t agree on anything, but a decision had to be made,” Lotti told TMW Radio.
“Closed doors will limit revenue for the clubs, but at least it guarantees the regularity of this tournament. Public health is first and foremost.”
The row erupted when some games were ordered behind closed doors and not others, while there were attempts to play in non-affected regions with only local supporters.
Instead, all the Serie A and Coppa Italia fixtures were called off.
“Players can play, just like other workers. I don’t like to talk about a distorted league campaign, but something will certainly change with the games behind closed doors.”
Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/